Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the Lab! Before you register an account and start posting, take a moment to read our posting guidelines, which include information on registering. (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the corner.)

Google Glass's Main Feature

samgloversamglover Admin
edited December 2013 in Legal Technology

Last Friday, I sat in on this webcast/web conference hosted by Mitch Jackson, a California lawyer who is one of the first to get Glass (or get it and blog about it, anyway).

During the webcast, I was struck by two things:

1. Man, people wearing Glass look like dopes. It reminds me of orthodontic headgear.
  2. From what I can tell, one of the main features of Glass is the fact that it is a new thing, and people are curious about it, so they will talk to you. In other words, it's a really expensive ice-breaker. One social media consultant (big surprise) even said he got some work because he was wearing Glass. (Lawyers will look for the networking angle in anything. News at 11.)

Glass definitely does a few neat things, but you can already do them (hands-free, even) with your smartphone. I mean, I bet it is really cool to get directions from your eyeglasses, but it doesn't seem like the sort of thing that will change my life. My phone does a great job of that, already.

It seems to me that if the main feature of a thing is its newness, then you've got a problem. It won't be new forever.

If you watch that webcast, see if you can detect any other amazing current features. Mostly, the "Glass Explorers" (yes, they really refer to themselves as "Explorers") talked about how it could be awesome in the future, not how it is awesome. Turn-by-turn directions and hands-free text messaging aren't transformative just because they are in your eye. Most of the things that could make Glass awesome haven't been invented for it, yet, though. If you think of it as a platform, though, instead of a product, it starts to look a lot more interesting. Listen to the apps the developer Mitch was interviewing is working on, and you'll get the idea.

But I still don't think I would want to go around in public with it on.

Post edited by samglover on
Tagged:

Comments

• Jeffrey_TaylorJeffrey_Taylor Oklahoma City

Sam, a little more harsh than I would be --- not so sure about the dopes part --- but I think you're right to a particular extent.

Newness is a huge factor. I'm in the position to both want Glass and can now actually afford to drop $1500 for the purchase.

The cost aspect is a huge consideration. Glass doesn't have a very good return on investment if the sole reason is to act as an ice breaker.

Right now, since Glass is so new and so remote, I'm not sure that it's the wisest use of someone's funds. The problem is, there just aren't enough apps to make the platform more valuable than a good smartphone.

Here's two I see some benefit to Glass:

1. Being able to record longer, steadier videos - your body acts as a tripod to stabilize videos.
    2. Presentation notes streaming through the HUD.

Of course, I don't believe those outweigh the cost factor. I'm sure in the future, all things will be fantastic. But for now, because Glass is limited in its abilities, I'm not sure it justifies replacing my smartphone.

• It's only harsh if you don't think they look silly wearing Glass.

I get the advantages of having an always-available HUD. I'm not convinced it's worth looking like a weenie all the time.

• mitchjacksonmitchjackson California
    edited December 2013

Hi Sam. Mitch Jackson here. I'm glad you joined us during the Spreecast. If you haven't done so already, you may want to read Robert Scobel's new book entitled, "Age of Context" and specifically, Chapter 2. I'm not sure if you've ever used Glass but it's truly an amazing mobile technology. We enjoyed talking about our experiences and sharing stories. Didn't know someone would be critiquing our every word or thought. Kind of creepy when you think about it. FYI, I walked away from the Spreecast with a smile and really enjoyed interacting with other very nice people. As for looking like "weenies", at least we can take our Glass off. What's your excuse? -- sent from Google Glass

Post edited by mitchjackson on
  • Mitch, I really hoped you would stop in and school me on all the things Glass does that you just didn't talk about during your webcast. I'm sure there are things. Instead, you just stopped in to call me a weenie. Nice.

I didn't call you a weenie, by the way. I think it's great that you are out there on the cutting edge with Glass. Someone needs to be. What I did say was that you looked like a weenie while wearing Glass. That's a criticism of Glass, not of you. Maybe that wasn't clear #throughglass.

• reviewing the blog, I cannot imagine the looks one would get wearing google glass to a deposition or jury selection.

• I think Google Glass and other wearable technology is the future. I agree it's not necessarily worth diving in a buying it right now unless you want to "play" with it. That's why I haven't yet bought it.

But I do think that it's a lot like ebooks--a concept I wasn't initially sold on--the idea seems off putting at first but in a very short timeframe, everyone will be used to it and it will just be the way we interface with the Internet and cloud-enabled tech.

I've been right about most new tech in predicting how and when I think most lawyers will use it (with the exception of ebooks, although I didn't actually publicly state my opinion re: ebooks) and I'm pretty sure I'm right about Google Glass, as well. Give it until mid-2015 and I think it'll start to be used and accepted by mainstream users and lawyers will also begin to see the light as well.

• Jeffrey_TaylorJeffrey_Taylor Oklahoma City

To be fair, Nichole, ebooks never really took off because publishing companies never got behind them. I still believe more people, especially schools and universities, would adopt ebooks if there were more options.